P R O F I L E / S K I L L S
A seasoned, self-motivated communications specialist with extensive experience in crafting and conveying detailed information to internal and external audiences, both in print and in person. Demonstrated skills include:
• Writing and editing, including the ability to create tightly written copy with a lively, persuasive voice and to edit others’ work for both content and style.
• Project planning and leadership.
• Public speaking, including extensive experience as a broadcaster on both television and radio.
• Use of social media as a means of promotion and public engagement, including as a verified Twitter user.
• Media relations, through knowledge of newsroom operation as well as established relationships within New Orleans’ print and broadcast journalism communities.
• Extensive experience distilling complex ideas into simple, easy-to-digest pieces.
P R O F E S S I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
NOLA.COM | THE TIMES-PICAYUNE, June 2000 to July 2019
June 2007 – present: Features writer, movie/TV critic and weekend editor
• Managed the newspaper’s movie and TV beats, including in-depth coverage of local TV and movie production, writing of regular reviews and production of entertainment features.
• Researched and wrote regular feature stories focusing on New Orleans history, including serving as project editor and lead writer of “300 for 300,” The Times-Picayune’s two-year celebration of the city’s tricentennial, highlights of which were published as a coffee table book.
• Served as writer, researcher and host of the New Orleans history podcast “Voodoo City.”
• Made weekly live appearances on WVUE-Fox 8 and WRNO-FM in New Orleans to discuss upcoming theatrical releases.
• Served as weekend editor overseeing production of stories for publication to NOLA.com and in The Times-Picayune.
Nov. 2005 to June 2007: Features copy editor
• Edited and formatted copy for publication, including for adherence to Associated Press style conventions, and designed pages for daily publication in The Times-Picayune.
June 2000 to Nov. 2005: News copy editor, slot editor, fill-in weekend A1 editor
• As copy editor and slot editor, edited news copy for daily publication and oversaw assignment of stories to a team of copy editors. As fill-in weekend A1 editor, guided production of The Times-Picayune’s Sunday edition.
THE COURIER, May 1999 to June 2000
Copy editor and page designer
• Responsible for editing daily sports, news and entertainment copy on deadline as well as page design and creation of news graphics.
THE LAKE CITY REPORTER, April 1997 to May 1999
News reporter and page designer
• Covered breaking local news and wrote features for The Lake City Reporter, a New York Times-owned daily newspaper in Lake City, Florida.
• Assisted with page design.
THE NEWS-BANNER, May 1994 to April 1997
News reporter and editor
• Oct. 1996 – April 1997: Assistant managing editor, leading the assignment and editing of stories for a team of journalists, as well as oversight of production process at The News-Banner, a thrice-weekly newspaper in Covington, Louisiana.
• Nov. 1995 to Oct. 1996: News editor, responsible leading a team of journalists and editing copy for content, grammar and adherence to Associated Press style.
• May 1994 to Nov. 1995: News reporter, responsible for coverage of multiple municipal beats and filing of regular news stories on deadline.
P U B L I C A T I O N S
• Project editor and lead writer of “300 for 300” (2018, The Times-Picayune) a hard-cover coffee table history book published by The Times-Picayune in celebration of the tricentennial of New Orleans.
• Copy editor of “Down and Out in New Orleans: Transgressive Living in the Informal Economy” (2017, Columbia University Press), by Dr. Peter J. Marina.
• Copy editor of “Getting the Holy Ghost: Urban Ethnography in a Brooklyn Pentecostal Tongue-Speaking Church” (2013, Lexington Books), by Dr. Peter J. Marina.
E D U C A T I O N
University of New Orleans
Bachelor of Arts in Communications with a minor in anthropology, Class of 1992
Brother Martin High School
Class of 1987